A career at Arup offers you the chance to make a positive difference in the world. Independently owned and independently minded, we attract a diverse mix of people to work on ground breaking projects around the world.
Arup is the creative force at the heart of many of the world’s most prominent projects in the built environment. We offer a broad range of professional services that combine to make a real difference to our clients and the communities in which we work.
We are truly global, and our 13,000 planners, designers, engineers and consultants around the world deliver innovative projects with creativity and passion.
Due to the growth of our business and an expanded portfolio of projects, an exciting opportunity exists for a highly motivated Senior Traction Engineer to join our team.
As part of the Transport and Resources team, this role covers a broad range of skills relating to Rail services. The primary focus of this role is to contribute to developing the Rail services of our business, supporting our clients and building a profitable Transport and Resources team.
The Senior Traction Engineer will undertake design, project management and consulting services within Rail services, in order to enhance the team’s portfolio of skills and expertise.
In addition, the successful candidate will:
- Be accountable for significant and complex activities or projects. This will require you to be responsible for predicting and planning future resources;
- Represent Arup at internal and external meetings;
- Take a longer term strategic view of the business and contribute to the development plan of Arup;
- Be responsible for executing responsibilities as outlined in Arup’s Quality Management System;
- May be responsible for the performance and development of others. This would require you to provide guidance, training, motivation and direction to staff;
- May be involved in setting budgets; as such you would be responsible for negotiating agreements with customers and suppliers in order to achieve financial targets.
You will have demonstrated:
- Significant industry experience in Electrical Engineering within a consulting business environment across a range of medium to large scale projects;
- Significant understanding of: HV Substation Engineering and Traction Power Systems; high voltage traction power substation design for rail projects in Victoria; concept and detailed design of indoor and outdoor switchgear installation, HV substation room layouts and underground HV equipment such as transformers, switchgear and cables;
- Experience developing successful client relationships;
- Experience leading teams on multi-disciplinary projects and developing less experienced engineers;
- Membership of relevant professional institutions/professional peer bodies (including Chartered Status from the Institution of Engineers Australia).
- Proven working knowledge of relevant legislation, regulations, codes of practice, and guidelines – and Arup’s related procedures including OH&S
With recognised relevant tertiary qualifications in Electrical Engineering or similar, you will be able to demonstrate your experience in design, project management and implementation in your field, within a consulting business environment.
You will possess demonstrated excellent attention to detail along with high-level verbal and written communication skills. Additionally, you will have proven working knowledge of relevant legislation, regulations, codes of practice, and guidelines. The ability to work independently and as part of a team is essential.
Membership of relevant professional institutions/professional peer bodies or significant credit towards eligibility for membership will be highly regarded.
The people at Arup are driven to find a better way and to deliver better solutions for our clients.
If you are interested in helping us shape a better world, apply using the link below.
“It is not the wish to expand, but the quest for quality which has brought us to this position… to do work of quality, we must have people of quality. There are many kinds of quality, and there are many kinds of job to do, so we must have many kinds of people, each of which can do their own job well.”