A career at Arup offers you the chance to make a positive difference in the world. Independently owned and independently minded, we attract a diverse mix of people to work on ground breaking projects around the world.
Arup is the creative force at the heart of many of the world’s most prominent projects in the built environment. We offer a broad range of professional services that combine to make a real difference to our clients and the communities in which we work.
We are truly global, and our 13,000 planners, designers, engineers and consultants around the world deliver innovative projects with creativity and passion.
Due to the growth of our business and an expanded portfolio of projects, an exciting opportunity exists for a highly motivated Traction Engineer to join our team.
As part of the Transport and Resources team, this role covers a broad range of skills relating to Rail services. The primary focus of this role is to contribute to developing the Rail services of our business, supporting our clients and building a profitable Transport and Resources team.
The Traction Engineer will undertake design, project management and consulting services within Rail services, in order to enhance the team’s portfolio of skills and expertise.
In addition, the successful candidate will:
- You will work under minimal supervision within a defined area of responsibility. This may include being responsible for specific parts of an external design project;
- You will be responsible for checking the quality and accuracy of own and others work. Furthermore, you may be responsible for the development of others through providing guidance, training and feedback;
- Your work will encompass authoring non-standard letters, reports and other documentation;
- You will represent your team or group at external meetings and you may be involved in developing events, activities and internal projects of some complexity
You will have demonstrated:
- Significant industry experience in Electrical Engineering within a consulting business environment across a range of medium to large scale projects;
- Demonstrated understanding of: HV Substation Engineering and Traction Power Systems; High voltage traction power substation design for rail projects in Victoria; concept and detailed design of indoor and outdoor switchgear installation, GC substation room layouts and underground HV equipment such as transformers, switchgear and cables;
- Membership of relevant professional institutions/professional peer bodies (including Chartered Status from the Institution of Engineers Australia);
- Proven working knowledge of relevant legislation, regulations, codes of practice, and guidelines – and Arup’s related procedures including OH&S.
With recognised relevant tertiary qualifications in Electrical Engineering or similar, you will be able to demonstrate your experience in design, project management and implementation in your field, within a consulting business environment.
You will possess demonstrated excellent attention to detail along with high-level verbal and written communication skills. Additionally, you will have proven working knowledge of relevant legislation, regulations, codes of practice, and guidelines. The ability to work independently and as part of a team is essential.
Membership of relevant professional institutions/professional peer bodies or significant credit towards eligibility for membership will be highly regarded.
The people at Arup are driven to find a better way and to deliver better solutions for our clients.
If you are interested in helping us shape a better world, apply using the link below.
“It is not the wish to expand, but the quest for quality which has brought us to this position… to do work of quality, we must have people of quality. There are many kinds of quality, and there are many kinds of job to do, so we must have many kinds of people, each of which can do their own job well.”